As Abused Gymnasts Seek Answers, They Are Offered Only Money


With lower than 5 months left earlier than the Tokyo Olympics, the governing physique for gymnastics within the United States has proposed a multimillion-dollar authorized settlement to shut a darkish and painful chapter by which a whole bunch of gymnasts had been sexually assaulted by a former workforce physician.

Simone Biles, essentially the most embellished gymnast within the sport, shouldn’t be having it.

Nor is Aly Raisman, one other Olympic gold medalist, and different victims who in latest days have publicly demanded solutions, but once more, to how the physician, Lawrence G. Nassar, may molest a whole bunch of women and girls beneath the watch of U.S.A. Gymnastics, the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee and so many coaches charged, partly, with retaining them secure.

“They’re just trying to push it under the rug and hoping people forget about it when people watch the Olympics this summer,” Raisman stated Monday on the “Today” present on NBC, which is able to broadcast the Tokyo Games.

Raisman additionally accused Olympic organizations of a cover-up, although she didn’t say what, precisely, was being coated up as a result of she stated she didn’t have sufficient data.

And that ignorance is the crux of the issue.

Details of U.S.A. Gymnastics’ $217 million settlement supply grew to become public final month and contains a proposal that releases from legal responsibility varied entities and other people concerned within the case, together with the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee and the previous chief government of U.S.A. Gymnastics, Steve Penny, in addition to the previous nationwide workforce coordinators, Marta and Bela Karolyi. The proposed payouts to Nassar’s 500-plus victims vary from $82,550 to $1.25 million, with the very best tier of payouts going to gymnasts molested on the Olympics or world championships.

Yet the supply doesn’t seem to require Olympic or gymnastic officers to reveal any extra data which may make clear how Nassar may assault so many individuals with out the sort of oversight that would have stopped him. John Manly, a lawyer who represents Biles, Raisman and different victims, known as that unacceptable.

“Wish they BOTH wanted an independent investigation as much as the survivors & I do. Anxiety high. Hard not to think about everything that I DON’T WANT TO THINK ABOUT!!!” the tweet said.

In another post, she said: “And don’t THEY also want to know HOW everything was allowed to happen and WHO let it happen so it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN? Shouldn’t people be held accountable? Who do I ask??? I’m torn at this point….”

These strong reactions could indicate how far apart the athletes and officials are in resolving the case, and their very different goals.

The gymnasts are fighting for the maximum amount of information to be released in order to maintain public pressure on the Olympic committee and gymnastics federation to make the kinds of sweeping changes that would curb any future abuse. The governing officials, however, would rather expedite the end of the case so that attention on it fades before the Olympics and to avoid a trial that could impose harsher financial penalties if the victims prevail.

U.S.A. Gymnastics filed for bankruptcy in December 2018, claiming that the move would expedite payouts to Nassar’s victims. The filing halted the dozens of lawsuits U.S.A. Gymnastics was facing, stopping any exchange of information in those cases.

But the route from filing for bankruptcy to offering to pay those women has been circuitous, and was likely expected to be.

Jonathan Lipson, a bankruptcy law expert and professor at the Temple University Beasley School of Law, said U.S.A. Gymnastics’ case is tricky because it goes deeper than just a typical bankruptcy court’s case of “just money” and “just business.”

He said it was similar to the Purdue Pharma bankruptcy case stemming from the avalanche of lawsuits the company faced related to the drug at the center of the opioid crisis or the Boy Scouts of America’s recent bankruptcy filing in light of their sex-abuse scandal and the hundreds of lawsuits from it.

“All of them involve underlying harm that is more difficult to address than the usual failure to pay a debt,” Lipson said. “That was also the problem with the Catholic church. They had problems that can’t be cashed out, and the bankruptcy system was designed to cash people out.”

The next step to the bankruptcy case will be negotiations. There will be hearings and amended offers and lots of brinkmanship, as Lipson called it.

Another option is for the judge to dismiss the case, and that’s exactly what Nassar’s victims want.

In January, they filed a request with the court to throw out the case because they see the bankruptcy filing as U.S.A. Gymnastics’ effort to hide from public scrutiny and delay litigation in the hundreds of cases it faces throughout the country.

Rachael Denhollander, a lawyer and former gymnast who was the first person to publicly accuse Nassar of molesting her, said she and other victims were just about done with dealing with U.S.A. Gymnastics. A long and frustrating four years have gone by since she came forward to The Indianapolis Star with her accusations against Nassar.

“If they hadn’t prioritized money over the safety of children, we would’ve been done with all of this three years ago,” she said.

This is not about the money, she said, although funds are important for medical care of the survivors who need therapy. It’s about forcing the system to change, she said, and to do that, U.S.A. Gymnastics and the U.S.O.P.C. need to give the public more information — all the text messages, email exchanges, everything — to show who enabled Nassar to thrive and hurt so many girls and women.

“We are talking about the biggest sexual assault case in sports history,” Denhollander said. “The bottom line is that the survivors aren’t going to let this go.”



Source link Nytimes.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *